CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Playing Catch-Up


I am definitely WAY behind on the blog. Not that life is so incredibly exciting, but the reality is that summer is more than half over. So, here is what I like to refer to as the "quick and dirty" way to catch up. Here are the top ten things that have happened recently.

1. Kalinee turned 15. June 30, 2010
For most, this is a landmark that signifies the securing of one's learners permit to drive. Needless to say, for Kalinee, the voice of reason whispers..."give the girl a little more time to OBSERVE the whole driving process." She will figure it all out someday. . . but let's just say that day will not be tomorrow!!


Also, for the record, may I say that Kalinee is "the life of the party," "the joy of the family," "the crazy, fun, carefree goofy girl" and, of course, "the bona fide genius!" (She just can't DRIVE!!)

2. Chandler turned 22. July 3, 2010
Man, does that sound old!! What a monumental day! It is, after all, the first birthday in the "20's" that he has been able to celebrate at home. Needless to say, he was not at home. He went to San Diego with friends. Dang! Can't say that I blame him. There was no cake. No candles. No pictures. No party. But he got to do exactly what he wanted and that is the sign of growing up. Right?!!

3. Haley returned home from Africa. July 4, 2010
I love the way that life experiences shape us into who we are. Haley is forever changed - not in any creepy, strange or even noticeable way. But she has seen, felt, and understood life in a completely different way. Her life perspective is altered, and her eternities will be filled with joyful reunions.

4. Easton has put 1000 miles on his scooter. July 15, 2010
Oh, the summer before your senior year!! It is definitely THE LIFE!! He, along with a brigade of friends, has scootered his way across the valley this summer. He has met girls from all over, spent his summer earnings on "SNOW SHACK" and "LONE STAR," and had numerous late night fires in every canyon. (Did I forget to mention, he also dyed his hair black.) Oh the joys of friends, freedom and fun. Next year at this time he will be experiencing the indescribable joys of receiving a mission call!!

5. Teagan is a "night game" maniac.
My baby is a cool "almost 6th grader." He spends every night playing night games with friends. Al and I make our nightly walk through the neighborhood waiting for him to finally come home with us. It is the summer of air soft wars, hide and seek, kick the can, and soccer. It is the age of swimming at the pool, trying to get a tan, not noticing the girls but hoping that they notice you. It is the year when you know just enough to enjoy life and not too much to be stressed about it!!

6. Kali changed soccer teams. July 2, 2010
Oh the agony!! and the ecstasy. The buckets of tears have been shed and the sleepless, worrisome nights have been spent. Finally, all is well again. Kali learned that "soccer is soccer," and "friends are friends." She has managed to make a break from a group of girls that she loves and still maintain valuable friendships. She has discovered the joy of the game like never before. We love the lessons learned on the field. Soccer may be "only a game" but the experiences while playing are life.

7. We have a "Full House!"
It's a good thing that we kind-of like each other because we definitely can not get away from each other. There is more STUFF than the house can hold. The good news is that all the PEOPLE actually fit. There are too many cars in the drive way, too much junk in the garage, too many clothes for the closets, and too many laundry baskets in the laundry room. Nevertheless, we are all back home at the same time. When Chandler left on a mission, I thought it would never be the same again. I was right!! It is not the same, but we are all back home. Did I ever mention how much I love a FULL HOUSE?? I don't know anything about cards, but I will take a full house anytime!
8. We said a painful and tearful Good-bye to the Dixon's. July 10, 2010
There is really only one word to describe good-byes. It is a word that I hate. One that I do not allow in my own house. It comes from the teenage vernacular, and I always say that its use shows lack of a better vocabulary. But... in some cases, it just fits. Saying good-bye. . .SUCKS! The Dixon's are in Italy for two years. We are sure they will bring joy to many lives and influence others in ways they will never know. One thing for certain...They will be MISSED!!!



9. Al is losing weight, working out and serving on the High Council.
Now, there are three things that do not necessarily go together! Except in the sense that I think they are all note-worthy. Al has lost close to 15 pounds, and we are walking every night. He is even visiting the gym on occasion. He has made it known that he will NEVER run with me, but I have grown to love the evening walks even more. It is usually just the two of us - oh, yes, and the dog, an occasional child, a bike, skateboard, etc.

10. I am getting older, fatter and slower;
But...I just keep running. I am certain that it looks like I am barely moving as I "jog"along the side of the road. I don't care. I am determined to keep moving even if the pace has slowed. I am also determined to run at least one more marathon after my 50th birthday - which, by the way, is coming faster than I care to admit!! I love the summer mornings when I can run every day. I love being hot and sweaty and not showering until the yard work and the housework are done.




1 comments:

SavvyGirl

okay, Joni -- stop making me cry!!! I loved catching up on your blog and i love your post about the re-cap of summer. Only you can make a rhyme to your summer fun! Those pictures with the girls and the kids are precious and make me so sad. I am just happy we are on this side of things and only 22 months and 2 weeks left -- but how is counting ( wink wink).

Damon is working LONG hours, he has alot of travel coming up and the girls and I continue to battle the Italian Jungle of Naples. I hope we find our meaning here sooner rather than later.

we love you guys.

Post a Comment