CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Oh the Places you'll go!




"You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."

You've got to love Dr. Seuss!! "Oh the Places you'll go, Oh, the thinks you can think!" It's been a week of new "thinks," new places, and new experiences!

A million years ago when I was nearing the end of my mission, I had a companion that had great life motto. She made it a goal to learn something new everyday.

While we were companions we made chocolates, crocheted baby shoes, twisted wire and bead mini trees, etc. We played new games, learned to give discussions in new ways and did service in ways we never thought possible. Everyday was an adventure, and I admit, that it was a pretty great way to live.

I thought about my old companion this week, and I vowed to try something new. Monday was Haley's birthday, and she had declined the offer for any sort of get together in celebration. So, I decided that I would try to decorate a birthday cake for her using fondant. I have always wanted to take a class to learn how to make fondant. But, true to my style, I decided I could figure it out by myself. After all, no one would ever see it, and there was NO PRESSURE!!

The process was tons of fun. The result - something less than complete catastrophe! Haley changed her mind and had some friends drop by - none of whom were cake critics and all of whom were very easily impressed! (Truthfully, most of whom could not have cared less about the cake!!)

Learning something new proved to be exciting and rewarding. And, I was sold on the prospect of learning something new everyday. Then Wednesday came around. There was a Real Soccer game at the Rio Tinto Stadium Wednesday night, and the Jordan High soccer team was in charge of manning one of the concession stands for a fund raiser. I was on the schedule to work the event. I know that they sell beer at the events, but I just never figured that I would be the one serving up those frothy cups!!

Needless to say, I am not well-versed in the lingo associated with pouring on tap beverages! All I know is that I probably poured a good portion of the keg down the drain trying to learn how to fill a cup with beer instead of foam!! Who knew there was actually some skill involved?? It is not a skill I am proud of. Nor is it one I ever expect to use again. However, it definitely qualified as "learning something new!!"

There are lots of fascinating things to learn in this life - most of which do not involve beer, drinking, or anything else associated with habits I would prefer to stay far away from. The fact is that learning new things makes life interesting. I hope it will make me braver, less self-conscious and more well-rounded. Who knows, maybe I will even find something I am good at?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment