CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Just The Girls


Don't get me wrong, I love my sons. They have made me a better mother, and they have made my daughters better girls. They have taught me things that I would never have learned growing up with only one sister. Sometimes I question whether those things are really necessary to know, but they definitely add 'spice' to life!!

Nevertheless, I must confess that it is great to spent time with just the girls..."my" girls, that is. I have never been one to take time away from family. I don't go out to lunch with friends or go shopping with my sister. I have rarely taken any moments for "me" time, and I don't feel cheated for not having done so. I like to be with the family... more than any one else. When the kids were little, we were definitely a "package" deal. We, the Hansen Family, that is, traveled as a group. We went to every game together, practices, lessons and team trips were family events. As the kids got older, it became increasingly difficult to arrange schedules, and we had to split up to accommodate all of our responsibilities and activities.

Now the kids are becoming adults and moving away, I have taken the opportunity to go visit when I have a free day or two. Kalinee and I have gone on a few road trips together - usually to see Haley - and we have had a blast.

Last year our quick trip to St. George consisted of a morning drive to take Haley to the doctor. She was too sick to get out of bed, so we decided to take a drive. We left with little more than a diet Pepsi and a bag of animal crackers (which kept Kalinee entertained for the entire 4 hour drive) and spent the majority of our time in the waiting room and the insta-care center at Dixie Regional Hospital.
This year, we decided to take advantage of the boys first "hunting weekend" and go have a girls weekend in St. George with Haley. We didn't do anything exciting, but spending time with the girls is always like a breath of fresh air. We ate out (no burgers and fries) and ordered pizza with fresh tomatoes and artichoke hearts (no extra cheese and pepperoni). We went to a "chick flick" (no James Bond thrillers), and watched sad and funny DVD's (no hunting shows or sporting events). We cried a little and laughed a lot. We stayed up late talking about fun memories and 'solving' the problems of the world. We visited Haley at work and enjoyed seeing her 'in action!'

I don't relish having my children move away, but it has forced me to spend time enjoying them. They are great people. They are smart, perceptive, creative and spiritual. They think about life, notice the needs of others and invest their time accordingly. They work hard, play harder and value friendship above material things. They remind me of what is most important...and it is NOT clean laundry!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment