CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 4, 2011

Cancun 2011


I think I have the greatest kids in the world!!
I can recall two times in the nearly 25 years of my marriage when Al and I have left our kids to vacation alone. In the past, there has been the problem of shuffling kids, games, lessons, schedules, etc.
Each time I have always found myself thinking,
"It would be much easier just to stay home!"
Last night Al and I returned from 6 days in Cancun, Mexico.
Getting out the door was still tough. The kids are now old enough to take care of themselves and each other, but the mother hasn't quite fully accepted that reality. There were still lists of instructions and food to make, but in the end, the kids were capable, responsible and fairly competent at handling things at home.
Truthfully,
I don't think there is anything better than sitting on the beach
in the sun watching the waves roll in.
I love the sand, sun and sea.
I love to be warm. . . no, make that HOT!
I like the temperature to be well above "comfortable" because that is when I am finally "comfortable!"
We spent hours at the beach reading, sleeping, dipping in the ocean, sipping on pineapple juice, and watching the people.
The second day of our trip we went to the ruins at Coba.
We rode a zip line across the river,

repelled into a large cenote where we swam,

and experienced a Mayan purification ceremony.

We ate lunch with the Mayans, canoed in the lake,

and hiked the ruins.

Our guide was Miguel, and he was absolutely the best!

It was the kind of day I love.
The kind where you are always busy and return home tired at night!

Our next adventure was a snorkeling trip out into the ocean.
We chartered a boat with two other couples and went to three of the coolest snorkeling spots ever. We first went to a place where there were several sea turtles - so amazing! Then we went out by the reef where we saw stingrays and MUCHO fishies!
Then we went to a beautiful, calm cove
where the water was crystal clear light turquoise blue and only about 3-4 feet deep.
The fish were all around the edge of the rocks,
and the best part was that we were the only people there!

We stayed at a resort called Iberostar Ketzel.
There, we went on a bike ride through the city,
ate chips and salsa (and the best guacamole) for every meal (including breakfast),
and spent endless hours by the water (beach and pool).

I managed to get in my daily run most of the days, and Al did some archery shooting.
The night shows were marginal but enjoyable.
Everything about the trip was fabulous. But the thing that made it so pleasant was the fact that the kids were so great to take care of each other.
We returned home to an orderly home, happy children and well-stocked fridge.
Only one sad realization came as a result of the trip -
I really have almost worked myself out of a job at home!!

2 comments:

SavvyGirl

So happy you could leave and have some fun. Your kids are awesome so of course they did well at home. Your trip looks fantastic! You did some FUN things, my kind of vacation too! I love your photos and so happy to see you and Al.

Joni

Cyd, You are the only reason I keep the blog! Thanks for the comment!

Post a Comment