CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 27, 2011

I RUN . . . Why???


I always say that I run so I can eat. There are a few other reasons that I have chosen running as my "sport." They are:
1. I run because it is the only thing I know how to do.
2. I run because any idiot can put one foot in front of the other.
3. I run because it is mindless and automatic so I can pass the time pondering other things.

Yesterday I ran my first trail run - and, with one race, all of the reasons why I run changed.
The Buffalo Run is held on Antelope Island. It includes a 25K (15.5 mls), a 50 K (31 mls), a 50 mile, and a 100 mile race. The 25K route makes a figure 8 across a small section of the island that includes a five mile loop of steep downhill and treacherous switchbacks uphill. I registered for the race with no knowledge of the course. In fact, the day of the race I had no idea what was in store for me.

I always figured that running was running, regardless of where you did it. I run everyday. I can run long distances without ever feeling it in my legs. I am not fast but I can keep going. 15.5 miles is not out of my range- i will sometimes run that distance without even pre-planning. I can run it without water (at this time of the year) and I don't need any additional nourishment.

I always get pre-race jitters. I don't sleep well the night before I run. I wake up every hour worrying that I might not wake up on time or that I might forget something. This race day was no different. I was awake before the alarm went off at 5;30. Kari was (as always) my knowledgeable running companion.

She wasn't sure if she was going to run the whole race, but she went anyway. She is great to drive, get us to the starting line and ease my anxiety.
The scenery on the island is beautiful I have spent my entire life in Utah and have never even been to Antelope Island.
We saw buffalo and antelope (hmmm, weird, maybe that is how it got it's name!). The larks were singing loudly as we got out of the car.

The trail was rocky, steep in places and muddy in others. There were places that were what I would consider "impossible" to run - not so, however if you are a trail runner! The whole experience was challenging. I ran alone - except for the two life-savers I met on the way. I met Cameron on the switchback section and the good conversation and great positive attitude that he had just kept me going.

Not long after we parted ways, I met Mark who ran with me for the last 6 miles. He literally had to pick me up off the trail twice. In the last couple of miles I tripped and fell flat down two times - gotta love eating dirt! On the last fall i completely blew my Nike running watch to pieces! My legs felt like Jello from the strain of climbing up rocks and stepping over uneven ground. I was feeling pretty spent, but Mark just kept reminding me to drink. The last 3/4 mile we picked up the pace and finished at a pretty respectable speed.

Now, I have some new reasons for wanting to "TRAIL" run. They are:
1. There is nothing automatic about concentrating on the placement of every step.
2. There is no chance of boredom when staying upright alone is a challenge.
3. You see places that you would never otherwise experience.
4. I really never knew that I had "quads."
5. Today I am stiff and sore - but I have a sense of accomplishment. I remember now that I can do hard things and that I am pretty tough!

0 comments:

Post a Comment