CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 1, 2010

No Surprises!

There are plenty of things in this life over which we have no control. Some of them are pleasant surprises and some are difficult challenges. Let me just say, for the record, that I am generally not a fan of surprises! In those things we have control over, that is, I do not like to be surprised. I am not a fan of surprise parties. I, frankly, like to pick my own gifts. I like to know where I am going before I leave home, and I even want prior notice of little things like soccer practice and baseball schedules.

There are some pleasant surprises. I love getting a text that one of my children has gotten 100% on the Biology test, or news that they have passed the AP Calculus exam (we're still waiting for that one!) I think it is fun to bite into the unknown filling of a delicious chocolate, and I am thrilled to find an unexpected cake flavor under a thick layer of fluffy frosting. Best of all is the surprise of having friends and family stop by. I love unexpected visitors!

Suffice it to say, there are some things that I think should not be a surprise. These apply only to my children because they have the cruel misfortune of having me for a mother. These too, have some fine print which follows the list, but here are some statements that I never want to be surprised by:

1. "I am not going to school this semester."
Education is not optional. You better have an impressive alternative plan to pursue if you are opting out of education. Rather or not you know what you want to do in life, the road forward will allow good things to come into your path. When you are in motion towards a goal, opportunities will find you. Going to school is a good start down the path.

2. "I am getting married!"
I am a firm believer that engagement is the expected next step in the progression of a well-developing relationship. Such relationships involve a considerable amount of time and experience invested. Some of that time and experience happens when you are alone, figuring out who you are, what you like, and who you want to be. When all of those things are in line, you (and I) will know what is to be the next step.

3. "Mom, you're going to be a Grandma!"
One comment. I better be a mother-in-law first. Enough said! There is nothing better in life than a newborn baby. They deserve two loving parents committed to each other. I know you will assure that things are in order when the time comes (which, at the rate we are going, is a long way down the road. And, I am OK with that!) When little ones come, it is no longer about you - it is all about them!

All of that being said, here is the fine print. Know, my children, that I have complete confidence in your ability to receive and recognize the spirit in your lives. I do not profess to know much in comparison to your all-knowing, and loving parent - your Heavenly Father. I can't even relate to knowing perfectly and understanding flawlessly the experiences and individuals that will provide you, my children, with the necessary perspective and growth that will take you back to Him. Only He knows that. Pray often. Listen closely. Work diligently.

0 comments:

Post a Comment