CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

More Than Just a Job. Really??


l" jo After all, it is only part-time. It is just at the Elementary School -- and, let's be honest, I have been a parent volunteer there for the past 17 years. I barely see my miniscule paycheck before it's gone. And I still prefer to be called Joni or "Teagan's mom" rather than Mrs. Hansen. On the flip side, however, I do have a key to my classroom; and I even own a magnetic badge that gets me into the school.

Like every job, mine has its definite pros and cons. Number one on both sides of that list is "I GET TO WORK WITH KIDS!" Working with kids does amazing things for your self-image. Sometimes the results are positive and sometimes they are negative. Here are just a few examples:

1st Grade student: Do you have your daughters boots on?
Me: No.
Student: Are you wearing your daughter's shirt?
Me: No.
Student: Oh. (And then a look of deep thought crossed her face, so I asked...
Me: Do you think my outfit looks too young for how old I am?
Student: Yeah, kind-of!

You've got to love that kind of honesty. And since I am not willing to allow a six year old to be my fashion consultant, I had a great laugh about it! What I do know is that when I want this little first grader to really pay attention I just wear my peace sign earrings! On those days, we're both all about the peace sign earrings, and reading and understanding and learning!

Another day I was chatting with my sixth graders before we began our reading. I commented, "When you guys are old like me...." To which one graciously replied, "You mean like when we are FORTY?" "Yea, that's exactly what I mean - when you are forty." (Or maybe even OLDER than FORTY!!) What a great confidence builder!

My favorite was the day that one of my sixth graders said, "my dad is SOOOOO old. He's way older than any of my friends' parents!" Now, since this student happens to be one of Teagan's friends, I paid particular attention. "So, how old is your dad?" I questioned. "He's waaaayyy old. He's 49!" Like a shot right to the heart, the answer took the air right out of me. "Wow, he is old" was all I could say!

Just this week I asked my students if they had made any New Year's resolutions. One boy replied, "Yea, I'm going to get my mom to go on a diet!" "You can't make resolutions for someone else!" I replied. "Yes I can, and I'm going to get my mom to go on a diet!" It just made me wonder what resolutions my own children are making for their mom!?

I love the "Hi, Mrs. Hansen" that I hear as I walk down the hall. I like the compliments, "I like your shoes" and the innocence of youth, "You look pretty today!" But the best part about my job is the daily hugs I get before the kids leave to go back to their homerooms. Somedays they make me feel old, and somedays they make me feel young. But most of the time they make me feel like I am doing something that really matters, and that is a great feeling!

0 comments:

Post a Comment